Almost every business owner and entrepreneur struggles with work/life balance. When you’re passionate about your work, or you are just getting the ball rolling on a new endeavor, it’s very difficult to make time for life outside of work. As commercial real estate agents in the Boston Metro area, we help people find commercial space for their business endeavors. We also often offer small business tips in this blog.
Let’s combat the work/life balance struggle today. Here are some out-of-the-box ways to accomplish work/life balance that you might not have thought of before:
- Breathe/meditate. This might seem counterintuitive, because it’ll take up more time in your day, but even stopping to do deep breathing exercises for five minutes could help relieve some of your stress. Regular breathing exercises and meditation are thought to boost your immune system and your energy levels. This will help you get more work done in less time, and still have energy left for after work.
- Exercise. In another recent blog post, we discussed the benefits of being healthy in the business world. Physical activity is a big part of that. Just like meditation, exercise helps reduce stress, boost your mood and increase your energy levels, according to research. It is also said to help you live longer, which will give you more time to spend with those you care about or to do what you love.
- Broadcast office hours. These days, business men and women are blogging, posting on social media, texting, talking on the phone and meeting with customers or clients in person. Rather than trying to be available around the clock, if your business allows for it, set office hours and let your customers/clients know that you value your off time. Research shows that people will respect you for it, as it proves your values are similar to theirs.
- Create a perfect day. Write down what would be the perfect day in your mind. How would your schedule look? Give yourself time for deep breathing, exercise, meals, family or friends, unplugging or unwinding, and anything else that would fit into your perfect day. Hang this in your office or somewhere you’ll see it often. Things will pop up and your perfect day won’t always happen, but at least it’ll help you stay on track with what matters and prove that there is time for it.
- Write down goals. Your business plan and your life won’t go as planned if you don’t have set goals to follow. Write down the end goal, what you hope to accomplish, and then work backwards. Create smaller goals that will help get the big picture accomplished, and give yourself deadlines to make it happen.
Hopefully these tips come in handy with work/life balance. When you’re ready to purchase or lease commercial space in the Boston Metro area, please contact us, your commercial real estate agents!